The Zimmer Kinectiv hip implant lawsuit alleges that the manufacturer, Zimmer Biomet, knew the product defects but withheld the information from the public — choosing corporate profits over patient safety.
This medical device is said to present an unreasonable risk of pain, swelling, metallosis, and adverse local tissue reaction.
The Zimmer M/L Taper Hip Prosthesis and Zimmer VerSys Hip femoral head are defective in design and dangerous when used together. The corrosion problem is at the femoral stem and femoral head junction.
FDA Recall For Zimmer’s M/L Taper Prosthesis
May 18, 2015 – The FDA issued a Class 1 Device Recall Zimmer M/L Taper Hip Prosthesis with Kinectiv Technology.
Due to high levels of manufacturing residue left on the implant components patients are at risk for:
- Allergic Reactions – metal poisoning due to debris and microscopic metal particles in the bloodstream
- Pain and Inflammation – redness, tenderness, swelling in the hip joint,
- Infections – the bone and tissues surrounding the implant
- Loosening and Dislocation – when the implant wears against the bone surfaces, some people have experienced loosening of the replacement and joint dislocation that led to revision surgeries
- Bone Fractures – this can occur in the hip bones due to defects in the neck and stem components
- Bone and Tissue Loss – if a patient has a revision surgery they may suffer bone and tissue loss in the joint.
The FDA has stated that revision surgery to replace defective implants may be necessary.
Zimmer’s Kinectiv Technology
Zimmer’s Kinectiv Technology allows surgeons the flexibility to adjust the length of the affected leg, relieve nerve impingement, allow a better range of motion and makes sure the hip remains stable.
The Zimmer M/L Taper with Kinectiv Technology uses a modular neck system that is inserted into the femoral stem at a fixed angle. A taper is used to connect the two components of the device.
Kinectiv Hip Lawsuit
As the Zimmer hip replacement lawsuits continue to grow, plaintiffs are requesting an MDL in order to consolidate the cases in front of one judge. The JPML plans to hear oral arguments for the motion on September 27, 2018, in San Francisco, California.
If you or a loved one has had a Zimmer hip implant and are experiencing any of the side effects listed above you may be entitled to compensation. Fill out the form on this page so we can go over your legal options as soon as possible.